Inspection of the City Walls
New College has rather large medieval city walls bisecting it, with those walls also lining the fantastic garden.
In the middle of Michaelmas, the whole school was lucky to observe the triennial inspection of these city walls. When the land was granted to William of Wykeham for the construction of New College in the late fourteenth century, part of the deal was that the College would ensure the walls’ upkeep, and members of the council still turn up periodically to see that this side of the bargain is being upheld. These days it is as much ceremony as it is H&S inspection, and it is great for the boys to be able to see history meeting the current day. Present in the ceremony is the city’s mace, created at the Restoration of the monarchy in 1660, the gold of which was particularly eye-catching for the boys.