Ethos and Aims
Founded as an integral part of New College in 1379 and situated at the heart of the University of Oxford, New College School is one of the country’s leading pre-prep and prep schools, feeding to top independent senior and boarding schools throughout Oxfordshire and nationwide.
The School has a reputation for academic excellence, nurturing pastoral care, and dynamic creative arts, while it takes its musical lead from its world-famous choristers. Learning in a school nestled among Oxford's colleges, NCS boys from the age of four have unrivalled access to stunning educational and cultural facilities and resources - from medieval manuscripts to iPads. Emphasis is placed on educating the whole child, balancing high academic achievement with personal growth in sport, art, drama and music.
As part of New College, the School aims to:
- Uphold the founding principles of promoting ‘godliness and the studies of good learning’.
- Foster intellectual curiosity and a life-long enjoyment of learning
- Offer a balanced and challenging curriculum which encourages high academic aspirations, a creative and artistic sensitivity, physical endeavour and spiritual and moral awareness
- Promote the tradition of musical excellence and commitment exemplified in the choral foundation
- Provide an enriching range of co-curricular activities which nurture diverse talents and give pupils experience and confidence for the future
- Work closely with parents to develop each boy’s character, self-esteem and potential in a caring and constructive way
- Promote values of courtesy, mutual respect and tolerance
- Provide opportunities for leadership, competition and co-operation so that individual achievements are recognised and celebrated by the whole school community
- Extend pupils’ understanding and commitment to the wider local, national and international community